Putu the Cat

Fear me, if you dare. Meow.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Give me Moore

 

Salon.com carries an interview with Alan Moore, a writer Putu has admired immensely since Watchmen. It's all very political, though, but his views are interesting. Also two paragraphs about Tom Strong, a hero Putu needs to get to know better,  from Salon...
In "Tom Strong," Moore reaches for the hero at his most archetypal, trying to reel, as he puts it, "the tape of the superhero" back before Superman. In the tape before Superman are the pulp characters that inspired him -- Doc Savage, Solomon Kane -- as well as the charm and freshness of Tintin. Moore wanted Strong to have a Victorian origin but still be around today, wanted him married because "married superheroes are somehow sexier" and knew, in some way, that the hero should be friends with a talking gorilla.
What's appealing about Tom Strong is precisely how unrealistic he is, how very little attempt there is to link him to the drudgery of daily life. Little if any concern is given to the fact that Tom is 100 years old and looks 39, or to the fact that, when called upon, he will be sent back into time and travel to Venus. Moreover, Tom Strong acts not out of a desire to feed his ego or a pathological need to hurt but out of what Plato, in his "Republic," deemed "justice": each person in a society performing the role to which he is most suited.

Bit more about Moore from the introduction in the article...

Similarly, "Watchmen," Moore's groundbreaking serial that blew the comics genre wide open, unmasked our presumed comic-book heroes as nothing but a set of neuroses and psychoses in action, figures who look the other way (some in protest) as one of their own unleashes a devastating act of terror that kills half of New York's population -- ironically enough, in order to save the world from nuclear annihilation. It is the same kind of warped cost-benefit analysis that, some would argue, led to 9/11 and its resultant wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and who knows where else.

 


7 Comments:

Blogger Steve Austin said...

Cute blog. Please visit my wild cat blog. It is all about wild cat.

2:16 AM  
Blogger jon said...

We are trying to find good doom movie to take the kids this weekend. Good doom movie reviews are hard to find

I just stumbled onto your blog while looking. Seems to happen to me a lot since I am a knowledge mooch LOL

Thanks

3:55 AM  
Blogger freestuff2 said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a american match single
blog/site. I mostly deals with american match single
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it up. I enjoy your nice blog. check out my used book store site. It pretty much covers used book store related stuff.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Bloggy said...

I really liked your page and it is related to solid gold pocket watch, until next time!

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice blog, I am bit new to this blog stuff but I really like it. I will definately be back. I have a
animal gold charm that the horse lovers community just love. I should set a blog up on it that has to do with animal gold charm

10:18 PM  
Blogger unixlinux said...

Nice blog. Check out my cat name blog.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home